Green juice is one of the biggest health and wellness trends of the last decade. Celebrities, social media influencers, foodies and wellness bloggers are all drinking green juice. These enthusiasts state that this drink offers numerous health benefits, including improved digestion, weight loss, reduced inflammation and boosted immunity. This article reviews everything you need to know about green juice so you can determine whether to add it to your routine.
What exactly is green juice? Green juice is a beverage made from the juices of green vegetables. Common ingredients include celery, kale, swiss chard, spinach, wheatgrass, cucumber, parsley and mint. Green juice tends to taste bitter, most recipes add small quantities of fruit to sweeten it. Popular fruit options include apples, berries, kiwi, lemons, oranges and grapefruit. Commercial green juices are available as well but some varieties contain added sugar, which reduces the drink’s nutrients. These bottled green juices are also pasteurized. This process heats the juice to kill harmful bacteria and extend shelf life, but it may damage some of the heat-sensitive nutrients and plant compounds found in fresh juice.
What are some of the benefit’s from drinking green juice?
- Reduce overall inflammation. Fresh green juice reduces inflammation in your body. Inflammatory can come from chronic disease such as obesity and diabetes to heart disease and cancer.
- Improve your digestion. The enzymes in fresh green juice improve your digestive health. Health experts believe at least 80% of your immune system is inside your digesting system.
- Strengthen your immune system. Green juice gives your body plenty of plant nutrients and chlorophyll. Chlorophyll strengthens your immune system, helps control inflammation, increases red blood cell production and helps enhance your cells’ ability to carry oxygen. The ingredients in green juice have amazing healing and detoxifying properties.
- Improve your skin. The extra hydration and gut-healing benefits of green juice make it especially good for your skin, keeping it clear and giving your that extra dewy healthy glow.
The Best Way to make Green Juice:
Created by: Elizabeth Rider
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 organic cucumbers
- 3-5 ribs organic celery
- 1 large broccoli stem
- 2-3 leaves green kale
- ½ organic apple or pear
- Optional: 1 to 2-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled
- ½ organic lemon, peeled before juicing or not juiced and squeezed into the juice at the end
Wash all produce well and push each whole piece through your juicer, cutting it in half if necessary to fit through the top of the juicer. Add a few ice cubes to your juice if you want your juice cold and drink it right away as the nutrients will begin to degrade once exposed to oxygen.